November 16, 2012

twenty-six weeks

BumpProgression_26Weeks

written November 15th

I had a doctor's appointment this morning, which included the dreaded glucose tolerance test.  I knew I was in for it when I was starving at 6:45am, and my draw wasn't until 9:35am.  But I survived.  The drink went down ok, and I was feeling fine.  Right until about 10 minutes before the draw.  I started to get a little clammy and really though I was going to puke.  Which of course would mean having to redo the test.  But after they drew the blood and I was able to eat I was much much better.  Even though I was apparently still pretty pale, according to the nurse and doctor anyway.

Also?  FOUR people commented on how cold I was.  It was such an odd thing.  The first nurse in the lab that I handed my insurance card to told me my hands were freezing.  The girl that drew my blood asked me why I was so cold and if it was chilly in the room.  The OB nurse mentioned something about it, and then the doc said she was going to warn me her hands were cold, but that I was chillier than she was.  Sorry people, apparently I'm cold blooded or something.  I have no idea.  Maybe it is because it is getting close to winter?  Who knows.  Whatever.

Anyway, I passed the glucose test, so that is great.  My office likes whatever number they test to be under 135, and mine was 103, so no worries there.  Some other number is supposed to be above 32% and mine was 36%, but I can't remember what the heck they were testing.  Blood pressure was perfect at 120/67, which is a relief because I've had a several more 'seeing sparkles' episodes over the last few weeks.  Of course we will keep an eye on it, but she wasn't concerned yet.  Basically she said everything looked perfect.  Go me.  She did measure my belly at 28cm (which = 28 weeks I think), but didn't really say anything about it.  Of course I'm sure that means I'm having a monster baby this time around, but I'm trying to remind myself that I measured big with Ryann and she was tiny.  Not to mention there is always room for human error, right?

Next appointment is in two weeks so I can get a rhogam injection.  I'm not quite sure what is more awkward, your toddler watching you pee in a cup (she still hasn't asked about it, just gives me the weirdest looks) or getting an injection in your butt.  We shall see!

how far along:  26 weeks (compare to 26 weeks with Ryann)

size of babyaccording to the bump a head of lettuce, between 13.6-14.8 inches long and weighing somewhere between 1.5-2.5 pounds. Baby girl's eyes are forming and will soon open.  She is also taking practice breaths of amniotic fluid and starting to build up her immune system by absorbing my antibodies.  Hopefully I've got some good ones!

weight gain:  13.2 pounds.   I ended up gaining 2.6 pounds in the last two weeks.  Whoops.  I suppose that is only an average of just over a pound.  To make myself feel a little better about the weight gain, I'm reminding myself that I still weigh less than I did when I got pregnant with Ryann, even now at 26 weeks into this pregnancy.  Not but much, but I'll hold onto every little bit thank you very much :o).

maternity clothes:  Most of the time, yes.

symptoms:  More than likely?  Some torn abdominal muscles.  Thank you very much wee one for stretching those out.  I've had a localized spot of pain on my belly for the last several days.  Nothing that makes me double over, but a burning pulsing pain that will just hang out for a while.  When starting to mention it to the doctor, she was able to finish my symptoms for me, and suggested is was some overstretched or torn muscles.  Yay.  Beyond that just plain uncomfortableness in my pelvis and belly, and stupid hormonal mood swings.

exercise: Five workouts this week.  I logged 6.8 miles walking, 8.1 miles on the elliptical and one session with Jillian and the 30 Day Shred.  That last bit?  Tough.  It has been a while since I've done any strength training and my chest is a wee bit sore from the push-ups.  But a good sore.

cravings/aversions: I'm craving sweets, Mexican and chicken salad sandwiches (wtf?).  Keep me away from olives and regular old pizza.  A specialty pizza with some sort of white or pesto sauce is ok, but no red sauce.

movement:  A fair amount.  I think she must have changed positions, because it isn't quite as crazy as it had been, but she gets around :o).  The other night Ryann snuggled up to me on the couch and had her arm resting on my belly.  Baby Sister was rolling and kicking it like crazy.  Ryann kept looking at me like dude, quit poking me.  I had to convince her it wasn't me, but I don't think she was buying it.

sleep:  The insomnia is really starting to set in.  I'm exhausted, but pretty much after six hours of sleep my body just won't do it anymore.  No matter how much I protest and lay there with my eyes clothes.  Thankfully I'm sleeping pretty solidly for those six hours, so I guess I'll take it.

gender: Girl.

looking forward to: Painting the nursery, fondue with friends and the holidays.

worries:  I'm a little worried that this little girl is actually a boy and the tech was wrong.  I don't know why I can't picture us with two girls.  It is boggling my mind.

what's different this time:  Meh.  The only thing I can gather right now is that I am still sleeping in my own t-shirts as opposed to last time.  Lame.  Also, pretty darn sure we had named Ryann by now.  We will eventually pick a name, right?

milestones:  less than 100 days until my due date!  Also, not really sure it is a 'milestone', but I felt Baby Sister get the hiccups for the first time over the last week.  Ryann had them all the time, I'll be interested to see if this little girl follows suit.

best moment this week:  Passing the glucose tolerance test.  Bring on the Christmas cookies!  Also having lots of lunch and dinner dates with friends and family.  I love my friends and family, they make me so happy.

2 comments:

ACW said...

Have y'all considered the name Georgia? I just thought it might be "fitting" considering how much you love visiting your beach house!

Marie said...

I'm about a week behind you so it is fun to see where you are at in your pregnancy:)

I've had to take our 2 (almost 3) year old to a couple of appointments and she likes to pretend she is the doctor. She got to witness my cervical check. That was awesome!